deCoubertin Books is a small publisher of non-fiction. We specialise in sport, although that is not our only focus and we welcome submissions from across a wide range of non-fiction – in particular, reportage, memoir, narrative non-fiction, travel, history.
The main guideline for submitting work to deCoubertin Books is simply to write well, be fresh, interesting and relevant.
Here is a list of practical things that will help us deal with your submission:
- Please enclose a cover letter telling us a little about yourself, what your book is about and why you think we should publish it.
- Enclose an outline, which should include a synopsis not longer than two pages long, plus a chapter by chapter breakdown — you can add a paragraph or so describing each chapter within a paragraph if you feel it relevant.
- Submissions should include three chapters, ideally the first three.
- We will acknowledge the receipt of all submissions so please enclose either a current address or email address; international submissions will be responded to by email only. We aim to read every manuscript within six weeks but unfortunately we can only respond individually to successful submissions. We cannot return unsuitable work.
- Please be patient and don’t bombard us with emails or phone calls. We will get round to you.
Don’t be discouraged if we don’t ask to see your work after your initial enquiry. We are a small publisher with finite resources.
deCoubertin Short Books is our new eBook imprint, dedicated to bringing the best long form narrative sports journalism to our readers. Our Shorts give a platform to top class writers for the sort of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction and satire, that are worthy of a broader platform than provided by mainstream media. We only publish books of less than 25,000 words and that can be read in the same time that it takes to watch a football or rugby match.
If you are interested in working with us on a deCoubertin Short Book, simply email us a brief outline and we will get back to you. Our lead times for this imprint are much shorter than when producing a print title so we can respond more quickly.
You can also send your proposal by emailing the address on this link.
The captcha you entered is incorrect. Please try again.